Visit Holland - The Netherlands
EYE Film Institute Netherlands is located in the Overhoeks neighborhood of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. It includes a cinematography museum formerly called Filmmuseum, founded in 1952.
Its predecessor was the Dutch Historic Film Archive, founded in 1946. The museum was situated in the Vondelparkpaviljoen since 1975, and in 2009, plans were announced for a new home for the museum on the northern bank of Amsterdam's waterfront. It was officially opened on April 4, 2012
In the spring of 2012 EYE moved into its new location on the northern bank of the river IJ. EYE intends to be a gateway to the world of the moving image, a modern museum where you can see and do all kinds of things related to film. The Vienna office of Delugan Meissl Associated Architects has translated this intention into a remarkable design that has been received with enthusiasm by the press and public alike. EYE is the first major arts institution to make the leap over the IJ, and it’s here that the Institute will grow into an inspiring cultural meeting place.
EYE’s building features four modern film auditoriums: one with 315 seats, two with 130 seats and one with 67 seats. There is ample room for exhibitions, educational activities and other events. The Basement, a museum shop and a café complete EYE’s headquarters. In the summer, the sunny terrace will offer a great view over the water. EYE’s new location is in Overhoeks, Amsterdam’s new urban district named after the prominent Overhoeks Tower on the former Shell research site.
The building of EYE is freely accessible. You can also visit the permanent exhibition in our Basement where visitors of all ages can browse through our extensive collection. Tickets for films and exhibitions can be bought at our counter or online throught the agenda on this website.
EYE’s location is easy to reach by car, public transport and bicycle. There is a parking lot right behind the building. For pedestrians and bicyclists, there is a ferry (Buiksloterweg) departing from Amsterdam Central Station that reaches EYE in two minutes. The ferry is free and runs 24 hours a day.